Consultant – Civil Engineering Support
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Job Location: Maiduguri with extensive travel in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
How to Apply: Online
Application Deadline: 17th September, 2019
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) invites application for following position.
Consultant – Civil Engineering Support for Nigeria Window of the Stabilization Facility
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Starting Date: 30-Sep-2019
Expected Duration of Assignment: 3 Months
Slot: 2 Openings
- Millions of civilians continue to grapple with extreme adversity across north-east Nigeria and the rest of the Lake Chad region where a recent surge in violence has uprooted tens of thousands more people, exacerbating an already dire crisis situation. An intractable extremist insurgency that has left tens of thousands of people dead, approximately 2.5 million displaced, and more than 10 million people in the region affected and in need. It is unlikely that security responses alone will be sufficient to address the complex factors that gave rise to the insurgency, and which continues to sustain it. There is increasing consensus that military efforts must be coupled with significant investments in complementary stabilisation activities to benefit the local population with both local and Lake Chad Basin (LCB) regional levels, if the security-humanitarian-development nexus around Lake Chad is to be effectively addressed.
- While robust national and multi-national military operations have re-taken territory previously controlled by Boko Haram, a new approach is required to consolidate these gains and establish the conditions necessary to transition from military to civilian responsibility for security, and from the provision of humanitarian assistance to the resumption of stalled development processes.
- To this end, UNDP has launched Lake Chad Basin Regional Stabilization Facility, supporting four Lake Chad Basin countries (i.e., Nigeria, Niger, Cameroon, and Chad) as well as LCB regional institutions, such as the Lake Chad Basin Commission (LCBC).
- The Facility will act as a rapid-response package – delivering within 90 days of target area selection – that relevant authorities can sequence with military operations as necessary, to ensure immediate follow-up in specific locations and curtail the ability of armed opposition groups to re-infiltrate and exploit any security vacuum or community perceptions of non-responsive Government by extending an organised and effective civilian security umbrella, consolidating military progress with development ‘dividends’ for the local population.
- The National Window of the Regional Stabilization Facility for Nigeria aims to address the needs of immediate stabilization in the target areas in North-East Region of Nigeria with high degrees of insecurity, promoting the phased transition of insecure areas toward greater security, and the reduction of current volatility whereby previously secure areas have become more rather than less vulnerable.
- One of the programme focus of the Nigeria Window of the Stabilization Facility is community infrastructure to provide basic services to the target communities. To this end, the Civil Engineer Consultant works in close collaboration with the Engineer Team in North-East Sub-Office to ensuring successful implementation of construction or rehabilitation of community infrastructures primarily in Borno but also in Yobe and Adamawa.
Duties and Responsibilities
The specific responsibilities are:
- Finalize designs of the facilities of community infrastructure, such as school buildings, toilet and WASH facilities, boreholes, government/police buildings based on the government standard specifications, which are submitted by the respective authorities for civil works in Borno as well as Adamawa and Yobe States;
- Finalize the Bills of Quantities (BoQs) of community infrastructure based on the design submitted by the respective authorities and verify the BoQs before initiating the procurement process;
- Provide technical inputs to strengthen alignment and complementarity of UNDP’s support with government policies and plans.
- Support the assessment activities for infrastructure construction/rehabilitation activities in the targeted sites in three State;
- Support the implementation of infrastructure construction/rehabilitation activities, where required;
- Support monitoring progress of infrastructure construction/rehabilitation activities particularly from engineering point of view and promptly report any abnormality or risks to the respective UNDP project managers and project teams
- Check materials received at construction/renovation sites of community infrastructure against damages, missing parts and appropriate ratings; ensuring that the materials/equipment provided by the Contractor meets UNDP requirement and standards.
- Discuss site issues with the Contractor for construction/renovation of school buildings, toilet and WASH facilities, and boreholes and promptly report back to UNDP if a problem arises that requires UNDP input.
- Ensure that the Contractor maintain safety on the site and clean the site after the completion of the rehabilitation work.
- Finalized BOQ and engineering design (if required) for infrastructure construction/rehabilitation project for school buildings, toilet and WASH facilities, and boreholes.
- Field visit/Monitoring reports on the above-mentioned infrastructure construction/rehabilitation projects.
- Monthly activity reports
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to plan, organize, implement and report on work;
- Outstanding communication, project management and organizational skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and good team work skills.
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Knowledge on government policies, regulations and standards on infrastructure projects is advantage
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree in Civil Engineering or any other related field.
- Registration with the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN) before 2018 is an asset.
- Minimum 8 years of Professional experience in Civil Engineering for infrastructure projects.
- Experience in the North-East Region of Nigeria is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of government policies, regulations and standards on infrastructure projects is advantage.
- Fluency in English, both spoken and written.
- Knowledge of local language (e.g. Hausa, Kanuri) is an advantage.
The consultant is expected to travel to the project locations in Borno extensively as well as in Adamawa and Yobe. UNDP will cover the travel costs for these filed missions in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Technical Evaluation accounts for 70% (700 points) of the total marks:
- Education 30% (300 points)
- Experience 30% (300 points)
- Language 10% (100 points)
Only candidates who obtain a minimum of 70% (490 points) of the maximum obtainable points for the technical criteria (70 points) shall be considered for the financial evaluation. Financial Evaluation shall account for 30% (300 points) of the total marks.
The following formula will be used to evaluate financial proposal:
- p = y (µ/z), where
- p = points for the financial proposal being evaluated
- y = maximum number of points for the financial proposal
- µ = price of the lowest priced proposal
- z = price of the proposal being evaluated
- Candidate obtaining the highest combined scores in the combined score of Technical and Financial evaluation will be considered technically qualified and will be offered to enter into contract with UNDP.
- The consultant will work under the guidance and direct supervision of the senior engineer.
- The Consultant will be responsible for providing her/his own laptop.
- Payment to the Individual Contractor will be made based on the actual number of days worked, deliverables accepted and upon certification of satisfactory completion by the manager.
Application Deadline Date: 17th September, 2019.
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Why NigeriaRecruitmentForm for UNDP Free Job Alert?
Nigeria Recruitment Form is the one stop place for United Nations Development Programme Nigeria Jobs 2019 notification across various sectors and industries within Nigeria. Here in this website we will ensure that at UNDP Civil Engineering Support Recruitment 2019 Portal updates get notified to all our visitors.
Disclaimer: Help improve this news portal, and if there is any mistake or any lack of information / facts in any news or excerpt, or if there is any copyright objection, then inform it at comment section. Simultaneously give full information with facts. The article can be corrected or removed.