Deputy Program Manager (NE-CMS)
Mercy Corps Nigeria
Location: Maiduguri – Borno State with 20% travels to deep field locations within North East Nigeria.
How to Apply: Send CV by email to [email protected]
Application Deadline: 23rd September, 2019
Mercy Corps Nigeria invites application for following position.
Deputy Program Manager (NE-CMS)
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2019/00083
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. With the insurgency spilling over from Northeast Nigeria and causing displacement of millions, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs. With funding from institutional donors, foundations and private corporations, Mercy Corps continues to provide assistance to meet the basic needs of vulnerable populations in the areas of food security, shelter, water and sanitation, protection, and livelihoods.
- The Northeast Conflict Management and Stabilization (NE-CMS) Program is funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID) to reduce violence and insecurity in Borno State.
- The program seeks to achieve the following outcomes:
- Citizens are more civically engaged, and civilian government and security forces are more transparent and inclusive in addressing community needs around service delivery and protection;
- Communities demonstrate improved trust and social cohesion within and between actors at the local level;
- Local decision-making spaces and peacebuilding processes are equitable and inclusive of marginalized social groups, especially youth and women.
- The program is implemented in a consortium with multiple partners both international and national with Mercy Corps being the lead.
General Position Summary
- The Deputy Program Manager (DPM) will provide direct support to the Program Manager in the technical oversight and management of staff and resources to ensure the program meets its targets and deliverables on-time, on-scope and on budget.
- S/he will support the team to ensure effective coordination and implementation, monitoring and evaluation, quality assurance and accountability.
- The DPM will represent and manage the program in case of absence of the Program Manager.
Essential Job Functions
Strategy and Vision:
- Support development and adherence to joint vision for the NE-CMS program to achieve highest level of impact.
- Ensure high quality of the program through innovation, active pursuit of lessons learned, adaptability to changing dynamics, and collaboration with related programs.
- Support the program team to design robust implementation strategies for each component of the program.
- Promote quality assurance to ensure adherence to the highest programmatic standards and industry norms/regulations.
- Support production of donor reports, lessons learned documentation, case studies, and other reflections on program progress.
- Support the monitoring of all programming for compliance with Mercy Corps policies and procedures as well as donor/government/external rules and regulations.
- Support oversight of the performance of sub-grantees, consultants and contractors.
- In collaboration with the MEL team, maintain a strong monitoring, evaluation and learning system to ensure that all program aspects are documented and archived according to internal/donor requirements.
- Ensure all program management minimum standards are met (including risk management, issues management).
- Ensure optimal integration of all program components for maximum impact.
- Support the coordination of the implementation of program activities in all locations, using effective management systems to reach desired impacts.
- Support identification and management of links with existing and planned donor interventions that promote peacebuilding in target communities in Borno State.
- Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and partners, and aligned with Mercy Corps principles, values and strategic plan.
- Support organization of monitoring visits for host visitors and donors, as needed.
- Create a work atmosphere of mutual respect conducive to professional growth and development of excellent personnel at all levels.
- Promote accountability by conducting staff annual performance reviews with direct supervisees.
- Contribute to team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Draft and/or review scopes of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Supervisory Responsibility: Program Assistant, MEL Assistant Reports Directly To: NE-CMS Program Manager
Works Directly With:
- Program Team, Finance Department, MEL, Operations, Security
Knowledge and Experience
- At least 2 years of management experience in progressively responsible positions.
- At least 2 years of experience in conflict management and peacebuilding programs.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to develop good relationships with a wide range of actors required.
- Experience representing the organization and its interests to a diverse range of local stakeholders, host government officials, and local and international partners.
- Ability to work independently in the field and show initiative. Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work cooperatively with team members.
- Strong management skills, with good knowledge of relevant cross-cultural issues.
- MA/M.Sc or equivalent in Conflict Management, International Development, International Relations, or other relevant field.
- A successful Deputy Program Manager will combine exceptional management skills and experience in maintaining donor and partner relationships.
- The DPM will have a demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and process information in support of changing program activities if necessary.
- S/he will be able to support the development, implementation and management of a large, multi-sector program.
- The DPM will have the ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel and experience in building the capacity of individual staff and teams.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Application Deadline: 23rd September, 2019.
How to Apply
Submit no more than 4 page CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: [email protected]
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line
- CV and Cover Letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Why NigeriaRecruitmentForm for Mercy Corps Nigeria Free Job Alert?
Nigeria Recruitment Form is the one stop place for Mercy Corps Nigeria Jobs 2019 notification across various sectors and industries within Nigeria. Here in this website we will ensure that at Mercy Corps Nigeria Recruitment 2019 Portal updates get notified to all our visitors. We help both fresher and experienced non graduates to get Mercy Corps Nigeria openings across Nigeria.
Disclaimer: Help improve this news portal, and if there is any mistake or any lack of information / facts in any news or excerpt, or if there is any copyright objection, then inform it at comment section. Simultaneously give full information with facts. The article can be corrected or removed.