Senior Civil Engineer
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Job Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
How to Apply: Online
Application Deadline: 15th September, 2019
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) invites application for following position.
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – Engineering
Vacancy Type: FTA International
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- The nexus of security-humanitarian-development issues around Lake Chad has given rise to an intractable extremist insurgency that has left tens of thousands of people dead, approximately 2.5 million displaced, and more than 10 million people in the region affected and in need. While robust national and multi-national military operations have re-taken territory previously controlled by Boko Haram, UNDP recognizes that a new approach is required to consolidate these gains and establish the conditions necessary to transition from military to civilian responsibility for security, and from the provision of humanitarian assistance to the resumption of stalled development processes. In this context, the UNDP is strengthening its presence in the North East region by establishing a sub-office in Maiduguri. The sub-office will serve as the centre of operations for programming which will include a Regional Stabilization Facility, a Disengagement, Disassociation, Reconciliation and Reintegration (DDRR) and Recovery and Resilience programme.
- The Sub-Office (SO) for North East (NE) Region of Nigeria has been operational since 2017 and UNDP has established an Operations Service Centre to support management and operations functions related to the effective delivery of programmatic results in anticipation of launch of new programmes, such as Nigerian Window of the Stabilization Facility in NE Region. The National Window of the Regional Stabilization Facility for Nigeria aims to address the needs of immediate stabilization in the target areas in North-East Region of Nigeria with high degrees of insecurity, promoting the phased transition of insecure areas toward greater security, and the reduction of current volatility whereby previously secure areas have become more rather than less vulnerable.
- Provision of basic services through construction/rehabilitation of community infrastructure is one of the programme focuses of the Stabilization Facility and integrated recovery programmes, such as school and health facilities, water wells/systems, housing units, shops/markets, among others. It is considered vital that the NE Sub-Office has a highly qualified technical team for implementing engineering work with sound quality and international standard, ensuring successful implementation of construction or rehabilitation of community infrastructures primarily in Borno but also in Yobe and Adamawa in North-East Nigeria.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the guidance and direct supervision of Head of Stabilization and in close collaboration with the Project teams in NE Sub-Office, the Senior Civil Engineer will perform the following functions by leading a team of civil engineers and other relevant staff:
Summary of Key Functions:
- Ensure the quality and technical soundness of the BOQ and specifications of infrastructure projects
- Provide support for smooth procurement process of the bidding of civil works
- Ensure quality of civil works and technical supervision
Ensure the quality and technical soundness of design, BOQs and specifications of infrastructure projects:
- Assess infrastructure facility needs and design the facility with a build-back better approaches
- Review all BOQs or the specifications provided by the Government or UNDP Engineers and ensure completeness in all respect to ensure international standards;
- Ensure timely submission of the specifications of the required equipment in coordination and cooperation with the technical teams from the Government authorities;
- Develop critical analysis of the required equipment and ensure that the equipment/requirement is compatible with the requirement and proposed brand/model and the specifications is generic in nature;
- Follow up on the preparation of specifications with the respective authorities and verify the specifications and coordinate with the Service Centre/Procurement Team before initiating the procurement process;
Provide support for smooth procurement process of the bidding of civil works:
- Participate in the UNDP evaluation process and do quality technical evaluation of the received bids;
- Analyse the received bids and conduct detailed technical assessment of the received bids;
- Respond to queries arise from procurement unit and review committees related to BoQs and technical specifications.
- Participate in pre-bid meetings and respond to queries from potential national/international bidders on the technical specifications.
- Participate in Technical Review Committee meetings and review all bids against the advertised evaluation criteria and submitted technical specifications.
Ensure quality of civil works and technical supervision:
- Design monitoring and supervision plan for civil works of the infrastructure activities. Provide practical recommendations on the monitoring methodologies in the areas with poor access
- Ensure that the Contractor maintain safety on the site and clean the site after the completion of the rehabilitation works.
- Coordinate supervision activities with national engineers and provide updates and recommendation to UNDP accordingly, which include:
- Check quality of civil works and materials received at construction/renovation sites against damages, missing parts and appropriate ratings; ensuring that the materials/equipment provided by the Contractor meets UNDP requirement and standards.
- Discuss site issues with the Contractor and promptly report back to UNDP if a problem arises that requires UNDP input.
- Advice, monitor and manage the operational phase of the facilities and procured equipment on behalf of UNDP and in coordination with the respective Governorate and /or the line ministries directorates.
- Ensure effective and efficient implementation of civil works and the operations of the outcomes.
- Checks and certify substantial progress/completion and the corresponding payments. Advice UNDP to withhold payment for any work which has been rejected or any work which is not in compliance with the contract documents.
- Review Variation that increase the Contract value and require the commitment of additional funds and hence require UNDP approval in writing.
- Maintain project progress log and issue certificates, notices and instructions in consultation with UNDP to the contractor as may be required by the provisions of the contract requirements.
- Advice UNDP on the value of the works at the date of termination, in the event of the termination of the contract.
- Assist UNDP as expert witness in litigation arising from the development or installation of equipment.
- Provide technical inputs to ensure maintenance and functionality of the infrastructure facilities after construction/rehabilitation in collaboration with the Government counterparts and other stakeholders.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on effective positioning of UNDP as a key actor in immediate stabilization and early recovery in the NE of Nigeria In particular, the key results have an impact on implementation of UNDP’s Stabilization Facility and Early Recovery strategies with a view to delivering on-ground UNDP’s effort for basic service restoration and community infrastructure rehabilitation in the NE Region.
Requirements, Skills and Experience
- Master’s or higher degree in Civil Engineering.
- Minimum 7 years of extensive experience in involvement in infrastructure construction/civil work, developing specifications, and conduct technical supervision
- Experience in preparing drawings, layouts, design and cost estimates of construction/rehabilitation of infrastructure;
- Experience in supervising infrastructure construction/rehabilitation works and managing civil work projects.
- Knowledge of international standards, specifically for civil work works related to infrastructure construction/rehabilitation;
- Experience in handling of tender documents for contracts, including technical inputs/specifications for the procurement of services using the conditions of international standards;
- Experience in leading a team with civil engineers and construction workers
- Knowledge on site safety for civil works and monitoring methodologies for civil work projects in the site with poor accessibility is an asset.
- Experience in post conflict environment and knowledge of socio-economic, culture, and community development issues in complex crisis situation is a strong advantage.
- Experience with UN or international organization working in crisis-affected country is preferred
- Fluency in spoken and written English is a requirement.
- The ability to communicate effectively in French is an asset.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN values and ethical standard;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Substantive and technical expertise in all aspects of stabilization, peace-building, and DDR programming within broader recovery frameworks, including assessments and planning;
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office;
- Has good knowledge of UNDP programme and operational issues;
- Has knowledge of UNDP/UN policies and programme in crisis and post -crisis situations;
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills.
- Focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to establish effective working relations in a multicultural team environment;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Builds strong relationships with internal and external clients;
- Demonstrates capacity to communicate effectively; resource management; capacity to plan and organize programmes effectively;
- Demonstrates resourcefulness, initiative and mature judgment.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Promotes a learning and knowledge sharing environment;
- Facilitates the development of individual and multi-cultural/team competencies.
Application Deadline: 15th September, 2019.
Why NigeriaRecruitmentForm for UNDP Free Job Alert?
Nigeria Recruitment Form is the one stop place for United Nations Development Programme Nigeria Jobs 2019 notification across various sectors and industries within Nigeria. Here in this website we will ensure that at UNDP Senior Civil Engineer Recruitment 2019 Portal updates get notified to all our visitors.
Disclaimer: Help improve this news portal, and if there is any mistake or any lack of information / facts in any news or excerpt, or if there is any copyright objection, then inform it at comment section. Simultaneously give full information with facts. The article can be corrected or removed.